Friday, August 21, 2009

Jay-Z - Run This Town (Director’s Commentary)

Director Anthony Mandler takes the time to explain Jay’s latest video featuring Rihanna & Kanye West. He says that us “rap hop heads” should know that the video was inspired by Das Efx’s “They Want Efx,” and not 2Pac and Dr. Dre’s “California Love.” He also said that he wanted to make it look more like something outta Star Trek, than something Hype Williams would do: Times Square, flashy cars - which was exactly what I expected when Jay told Tim Westwood “black cars, black cards, all black everything.” That’s also the line that was stuck in Anthony Mandler’s head, as he explains:


“I picked that out from an army surplus store, you don’t have to spend too much to make a video these days. Those internet music video guys, Rik Cordero I’m looking at you, you guys set the bar pretty low in terms of budget, and so they offered me only about $50,000 to do this video… and I spent most of it on those god damn glasses for Rihanna.”


He then goes on to say they put Kanye in that broken down whip to remind people of where he came from, think “Through The Wire.” Fastforward to his verse “I bought my whole family whips, no Volvos/next time I’m in church, please no photos” obviously referring to how he feels without his mother being here, making allusion to the “tank on empty, whippin’ my momma Volvo” line from “The Glory” as well as taking a shot at people taking pictures of him at his mother’s funeral.

ViA: NAHRiGHT

No comments: