Thursday, February 19, 2009

Drake Interview w/ Complex

Drake speaks to Complex on a number of subjects ranging from his musical upbringing, to some of his influences, to the theme and plot line of So Far Gone, which makes a lot of sense actually. He also speaks on how he met Lil Wayne, the naming of his latest project, speaks on the XXL Freshmen 10, the comparisons to 808’s along with his own major label debut. He also sorta denies ghostwriting for Wayne but… nevermind. Also speaks a bit on his lifestyle, whether it’s clothing, champagne, Blackberry or maintaining a balanced daily diet of Nah Right.

Complex: Listening to your earlier mixtapes, as well as So Far Gone, a constant theme seems to be the notion that “All That Glitters Ain’t Gold.” It seems like you try to be honest and downplay the rapper lifestyle, like when you talk about buying a Phantom but regretting it.
Drake: Yeah, well, to be even more honest, I leased a Phantom instead of buying one, ’cause I didn‘t have enough money to buy a Phantom, I leased a Phantom because that’s what I thought I needed to do. And I’ve done a lot of things to just enjoy my nights a little more and to feed my ego. And that’s kinda why I rap about it, because a lot of people are like, “If he ever steps out of line, I’m gonna say Drake’s wack.” So the only choice I have is to be honest with my listeners. And that’s not to say it’s not a glamorous life and it’s not fun, but the reality is it’s great for the average person to hear a musician’s reality because we all seem so unattainable and so out of reach that when you bring yourself back to eye level with a fan and do it in the right way…
Complex: What’s the right way?
Continue reading this post…

No comments: